250g tapioca starch (aka tapioca flour)
50ml sunflower or vegetable oil
250g parmesan cheese (or similar hard cheese)
1. Bring oil and milk to a boil and remove from heat.
2. Add the starch to a large bowl and mix in the hot oil and milk.
3. Let the mixture cool a bit, then add the eggs and mix well.
5. Kneed the mixture by hand until it reaches a uniformly smooth texture that unsticks from your hand. If it is too sticky, add a bit more starch.
6. Make the little balls (approximately 1-2 inches) and place approximately 1 inch apart on a baking sheet. Bake them for approximately 20 minutes at 400F, or until lightly brown on the outside.
These freeze incredibly well. Just make the balls, put them on a baking sheet lined with wax paper and place them in the freezer. Once frozen, remove them from the baking sheet and put them in a freezer bag. When ready to bake, just place them directly on a baking sheet without thawing. They’ll take slightly longer to bake but will be just as tasty. They are ready when crunchy on the outside, golden on the bottom, but still soft inside.